Smell at Banbury...
Peter Scales
2005-04-18 10:18:01 UTC
I have often noted a smell emanating from the region of Banbury during
my frequent trips down the M40. It's not particularly unpleasant but it
is strong. It reminds me of brewing or Marmite - that yeasty odour. It
seems to be most apparent when I'm driving south, just before the
Banbury junction of the M40.

I have Googled to no great avail. Some suggest the Hook Norton Brewery,
others a biscuit factory. Can anyone put me out of my misery and tell
me definitively what makes that smell?

TIA

Pete
Peter Scales
Simon Meeds
2005-04-18 11:01:22 UTC
Post by Peter Scales
I have often noted a smell emanating from the region of Banbury during
my frequent trips down the M40. It's not particularly unpleasant but it
is strong. It reminds me of brewing or Marmite - that yeasty odour. It
seems to be most apparent when I'm driving south, just before the
Banbury junction of the M40.
It could be coffee -
http://www.kraftfoods.co.uk/kraft/page?siteid=kraft-prd&locale=uken1&PagecRef=2297&Mid=2297

--
Simon Meeds
http://www.rosma.btinternet.co.uk
----------------------------------
The Wanderer
2005-04-18 14:05:52 UTC
Post by Simon Meeds
Post by Peter Scales
I have often noted a smell emanating from the region of Banbury during
my frequent trips down the M40. It's not particularly unpleasant but it
is strong. It reminds me of brewing or Marmite - that yeasty odour. It
seems to be most apparent when I'm driving south, just before the
Banbury junction of the M40.
It could be coffee -
http://www.kraftfoods.co.uk/kraft/page?siteid=kraft-prd&locale=uken1&PagecRef=2297&Mid=2297
I'd second that. A little while since I've travelled that-a-way, but the
smell of coffee, particularly before the M40 was finished, was very
distinctive.
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
Martin Underwood
2005-04-18 17:16:34 UTC
Post by The Wanderer
Post by Simon Meeds
Post by Peter Scales
I have often noted a smell emanating from the region of Banbury during
my frequent trips down the M40. It's not particularly unpleasant but it
is strong. It reminds me of brewing or Marmite - that yeasty odour. It
seems to be most apparent when I'm driving south, just before the
Banbury junction of the M40.
It could be coffee -
http://www.kraftfoods.co.uk/kraft/page?siteid=kraft-prd&locale=uken1&PagecRef=2297&Mid=2297
I'd second that. A little while since I've travelled that-a-way, but the
smell of coffee, particularly before the M40 was finished, was very
distinctive.
Sometimes the smell of things produced in bulk is nothing like the end
product. Coffee is recognisable but the smell at Banbury is not recognisable
as coffee. It's like the smell from the Mars confectionary factory in Slough
(eg on the Beaconsfield-Slough road, crossing the railway bridge) - which
smells like Old Spice aftershave!
Tony Davison
2005-04-18 18:41:53 UTC
Post by Martin Underwood
ometimes the smell of things produced in bulk is nothing like the end
product. Coffee is recognisable but the smell at Banbury is not recognisable
as coffee. It's like the smell from the Mars confectionary factory in Slough
(eg on the Beaconsfield-Slough road, crossing the railway bridge) - which
smells like Old Spice aftershave!
Burning Subaru/Ferrari cars after failed WRC or World Sportscar attempts.
Check www.pro/buyadrive/.co.uk
Big Tone
p***@nospam.demon.co.uk
2005-04-18 16:53:28 UTC
Post by Peter Scales
I have often noted a smell emanating from the region of Banbury during
my frequent trips down the M40. It's not particularly unpleasant but it
is strong. It reminds me of brewing or Marmite - that yeasty odour. It
seems to be most apparent when I'm driving south, just before the
Banbury junction of the M40.
There is a big brewery in Banbury -- can't remember whose -- but
you can normally see (from the M40) the large plumes of whatever
vapour that breweries produce spouting from its tall chimneys.

Must confess that I've never smelled it though -- perhaps it
needs a brisk SW wind and a low level inversion in the atmosphere?

Pete
--
"We have not inherited the earth from our ancestors,
we have borrowed it from our descendants."
Roy Bailey
2005-04-18 17:56:17 UTC
In article <***@nospam.demon.co.uk>, ***@nospam.demon.co.uk
writes
Post by p***@nospam.demon.co.uk
Post by Peter Scales
I have often noted a smell emanating from the region of Banbury during
my frequent trips down the M40. It's not particularly unpleasant but it
is strong. It reminds me of brewing or Marmite - that yeasty odour. It
seems to be most apparent when I'm driving south, just before the
Banbury junction of the M40.
There is a big brewery in Banbury
No there isn't!
Post by p***@nospam.demon.co.uk
can't remember whose -- but
you can normally see (from the M40) the large plumes of whatever
vapour that breweries produce spouting from its tall chimneys.
That will be General Foods' instant coffee factory, which makes (I
believe) Maxwell House. The residue is taken to an organic farm just
outside Lambourn where it sued in making compost.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.
<roy (dot) bailey (at) freeuk (dot) com>
Barry Dorrans
2005-04-18 21:12:36 UTC
Bloody corporate lawyers are everywhere :)
Roy Bailey
2005-04-19 07:04:00 UTC
Post by Barry Dorrans
Post by Roy Bailey
The residue is taken to an organic farm just
outside Lambourn where it sued in making compost.
Bloody corporate lawyers are everywhere :)
Oops! Hand faster than brain!
Nick Ramsay
2005-04-18 21:25:36 UTC
Post by p***@nospam.demon.co.uk
Post by Peter Scales
I have often noted a smell emanating from the region of Banbury during
my frequent trips down the M40. It's not particularly unpleasant but it
is strong. It reminds me of brewing or Marmite - that yeasty odour. It
seems to be most apparent when I'm driving south, just before the
Banbury junction of the M40.
There is a big brewery in Banbury -- can't remember whose -- but
you can normally see (from the M40) the large plumes of whatever
vapour that breweries produce spouting from its tall chimneys.
Must confess that I've never smelled it though -- perhaps it
needs a brisk SW wind and a low level inversion in the atmosphere?
Wishful thinking, Pete ;-) AFAIK, there's no brewery of any kind in
Banbury - are you thinking of Hook Norton?

As it happens, my father was an executive at the (then) General Foods
& now Kraft plant for almost 20 years. I can confirm that what you're
seeing & others are smelling *is* the industrial production of instant
coffee. The steam is due to the percolation method of production.
The reason you don't smell it all the time is that the coffee is
produced in batches, so you have to be (un)lucky. The smell can be
extremely powerful & no, it doesn't smell particularly of coffee.

I seem to remember that they brew vast amounts at a time & then it
either goes into an evaporation unit or to freeze-dryers, depending on
what they're making that day.
Peter Scales
2005-04-19 06:55:03 UTC
As it happens, my father was an executive at the (then) General Foods &
now Kraft plant for almost 20 years. I can confirm that what you're
seeing & others are smelling *is* the industrial production of instant
coffee. The steam is due to the percolation method of production. The
reason you don't smell it all the time is that the coffee is produced
in batches, so you have to be (un)lucky. The smell can be extremely
powerful & no, it doesn't smell particularly of coffee.
I seem to remember that they brew vast amounts at a time & then it
either goes into an evaporation unit or to freeze-dryers, depending on
what they're making that day.
Thanks to all who answered - the consensus seems to be that I need to
wake up and smell the coffee :-)

That has been bugging me for a few years now, it won't any more.

Regards

Pete
Peter Scales
p***@nospam.demon.co.uk
2005-04-19 16:07:31 UTC
[..]
Post by Nick Ramsay
Wishful thinking, Pete ;-) AFAIK, there's no brewery of any kind in
Banbury - are you thinking of Hook Norton?
Oops -- apologies to all for the duff gen. Around 15 years ago a
work colleague lived in Banbury (and commuted daily to Heathrow!)
and on the one occasion we visited his house he referred to that
Big Plant as "the brewery". I just assumed that meant brewing
alcohol rather than caffeine!
Post by Nick Ramsay
As it happens, my father was an executive at the (then) General Foods
& now Kraft plant for almost 20 years. I can confirm that what you're
seeing & others are smelling *is* the industrial production of instant
coffee. The steam is due to the percolation method of production.
Well I guess all that percole has to go somewhere ;-)
Post by Nick Ramsay
The reason you don't smell it all the time is that the coffee is
produced in batches, so you have to be (un)lucky. The smell can be
extremely powerful & no, it doesn't smell particularly of coffee.
Pity -- perhaps they should feed in some bean roasting smells...

Thanks for the clarification, Nick.
Pete
JohnB
2005-04-19 18:44:04 UTC
Post by p***@nospam.demon.co.uk
Oops -- apologies to all for the duff gen. Around 15 years ago a
work colleague lived in Banbury (and commuted daily to Heathrow!)
and on the one occasion we visited his house he referred to that
Big Plant as "the brewery". I just assumed that meant brewing
alcohol rather than caffeine!
Now to put an oar in ;-)

There was a brewery in Banbury on the edge of town in Hardwick. It
traded for just over a year in the late 90s. But it could hardly be
described as a "Big Plant" as it brewed just a couple of times a month
on a mini-plant - 1 barrel at a time (288 pints max).
I recall trying a beer called Two Ferrets and it scored low on my
satisfaction stakes.

John B
Sue White
2005-04-20 21:19:40 UTC
Post by Peter Scales
I have often noted a smell emanating from the region of Banbury during
my frequent trips down the M40. It's not particularly unpleasant but
it is strong. It reminds me of brewing or Marmite - that yeasty odour.
It seems to be most apparent when I'm driving south, just before the
Banbury junction of the M40.
I have Googled to no great avail. Some suggest the Hook Norton
Brewery, others a biscuit factory. Can anyone put me out of my misery
and tell me definitively what makes that smell?
Brewing smells of malt or hops, depending what stage the process is at,
so probably not that.

Marmite is made from brewers' surplus yeast, boiled alive (horrible - I
can't eat Marmite now) but they do that at Burton on Trent, not at the
brewery.
It's a common food additive, called "hydrolysed protein" or "yeast
extract" in ingredient lists. Could you be smelling a nu-food factory
that uses it?
--
Sue ];(:)

Reading Beerex - Thurs 28th April to Sun 1st May, Kings Meadow near Reading Station
Paul Cummins
2005-04-21 07:49:00 UTC
Post by Sue White
Marmite is made from brewers' surplus yeast, boiled alive (horrible -
I can't eat Marmite now)
They yeast has no feelings - it's a single celled plant...
--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981

I'm Backing Blair - www.backingblair.co.uk
Max Demian
2005-04-21 08:49:24 UTC
Post by Sue White
Marmite is made from brewers' surplus yeast, boiled alive (horrible - I
can't eat Marmite now)
You'll have to give up bread too as the yeast in it is baked to death.
--
Max Demian