What to do with old working hi-fi ?
Nick Pitfield
2004-10-17 16:35:42 UTC
Greetings,

Due to moving house (and country!) and as the result of several upgrades, I
have several old but perfectly working hi-fi separates to get rid of - aiwa
tuner, yamaha cassette tape deck, yamaha pro-logic processor, missions
centre speaker and canon rear speakers - also 1 pair speaker stands and a
metal 3-shelf hi-fi rack/stand.

Charities won't take them because they have to get them tested for
electrical safety before they can sell them and because of the cost of
testing they don't bother any more.

Richer Sounds used to do trade-in on old kit, but I can't find anything on
their web site for this any more, and I'm not sure they'd take all that kit
and let me buy just one thing (e.g. a DAB portable or something I haven't
got).

It seems a shame to just throw perfectly good kit in the local rubbish tip.

I'm in Newbury - any ideas on a local solution to this would be most
welcome...
--
Regards.

Nick Pitfield (***@nickpitfield.com)
Erick Andrews
2004-10-17 19:22:22 UTC
Post by Nick Pitfield
[...]
Maybe a car boot sale? eBay?

If you know any tech-types, possibly they might take them for spare parts.

The stands, racks and maybe even the speakers seem benign enough
in terms of "safety" for anyone who would want them.

I'd take the whole lot but shipping to the States is not on. Besides, retail
consumer electronics has become so commoditized. My biggest bane now
is getting rid of old monitors and a TV. I have a TV set that needs a part, I know
which one, but I can't economically get it. So it will likely cost me US $10 - $20
to dump it at the local tip.
--
Best,
Erick Andrews
delete bogus to reply
Richard
2004-10-17 18:42:55 UTC
get rid of - aiwa tuner, yamaha cassette tape deck, yamaha pro-logic
processor, missions centre speaker and canon rear speakers - also 1
pair speaker stands and a metal 3-shelf hi-fi rack/stand.
Charities won't take them because they have to get them tested for
electrical safety before they can sell them
I believe that a **few** charity shops do have an in-house PAT tester. Cancer
Care in Chaversham (not local to you I realise) take electrical stuff.

Richard
Richard
Andy Champ
2004-10-17 23:27:48 UTC
Chaversham? Id it that bad?
Richard
2004-10-18 07:51:14 UTC
Post by Andy Champ
tester. Cancer Care in Chaversham
Chaversham? Id it that bad?
Yes! Try "Caversham" & "Chav" in your favourite search engine to find out the
truth! I'm still trying to find out exactly what a "Kappa slapper" is but I
suspect we have several in my neighbourhood innit :-(

Richard
Hugh Jampton
2004-11-14 18:47:38 UTC
Post by Richard
Post by Andy Champ
tester. Cancer Care in Chaversham
Chaversham? Id it that bad?
Yes! Try "Caversham" & "Chav" in your favourite search engine to find out the
truth! I'm still trying to find out exactly what a "Kappa slapper" is but I
suspect we have several in my neighbourhood innit :-(
"Kappa Slapper" was a one-off comic strip in Viz magazine some years
ago. After being forced to print an apology to the Kappa sportsware
company, they changed the name of the strip. (Can't remember to what
... so long ago) I'm sure you can guess the content.
Agustin
2004-10-18 14:32:54 UTC
Post by Nick Pitfield
[...]
Try posting to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains - they may have
some more ideas.

Regards,

Agustin
John Stumbles
or uk.rec.audio?
Hugh Jampton
2004-11-14 18:48:32 UTC
Post by John Stumbles
Post by Agustin
Post by Nick Pitfield
[...]
... or everybodies local e-bay?

altgrr
2004-10-20 06:56:32 UTC
Post by Nick Pitfield
[...]
Sell them in the local AdTrader (www.adtrader.co.uk). You should get a
fair amount of interest, and prices above what eBay would net you. OK,
so you do have to have people come round to your house to see the stuff,
but it's an easy way to sell things when you think that you have to be
bothered about postage with eBay. I've bought and sold via AdTrader
(formerly Freeads) many a time. Of course, you can always give the
proceeds to charity if you're that way inclined.
timfy
2004-10-20 07:40:12 UTC
Post by Nick Pitfield
[...]
Pass it on to a local hospital, day center or old peoples home. Ours was
gratefully received by a maternity unit for the fathers and family waiting
room. These places will also have sparkies on site/visiting site that will
be able to test electrical safety before use. Bad manners to fry the
inmates!!

Tim

---